A great and hilarious resource – some of the best sex ed out there!
Dan Savage, Savage Love, The Savage Lovecast, It Gets Better
Erika Moen is fucking amazing and Oh Joy Sex Toy will change your life for the better.
Emily Nagoski, PhD, Come As You Are, Burnout
Promoting sex education broadly for joy and intimacy rather than a particular sexual orientation or activity, this collection makes valuable but possibly scary information much easier to think about and discuss with others.
★ Library Journal, starred review
Book Reviews & Best Of Lists
- ★ Publishers Weekly starred review: Let’s Talk About It
- The Beat: LET’S TALK ABOUT IT is sex ed done right!
- Fleen Book Corner: Let’s Talk About It
- Chicago Public Library: Best Teen Nonfiction of 2021
- New York Public Library: Best Books for Teens 2021
- Publishers Weekly: Best Books 2021
- The Hub (Young Adult Library Services Association) review Let’s Talk About It
- ★ Library Journal starred review Oh Joy Sex Toy: Vol 3
- Publishers Weekly review Drawn to Sex: The Basics
- Library Journal review Oh Joy Sex Toy: Vol 4
- ★ Publishers Weekly starred review Oh Joy Sex Toy: Vol 3
- The Advocate’s Best LGBT Graphic Novels of 2017
- The Advocate
- NPR’s 100 Favorite Comics
- Showcased at the TATE MODERN
- Book Riot (Twice! Thrice!)
- Smart Bitches Trashy Books
- The Portland Mercury
- The Daily Beast
- XO Jane
- The Verge
- Comics Alliance (many! times!)
- Guest Expert on Savage Lovecast episodes #528, #790, #752, #712, #664, #634, #616, #594, #585, #571, #551, #545, #535, #528, #496, #422, #686 (Most Recents!) and Savage Love columns 7/16/2019, 11/23/2016, 11/11/2013, 9/11/2013
- The Art of Asking Everything: Interview with Amanda Palmer
- ComicLab: Special Guest Erika Moen discusses mental health
- ComicLab: Making NSFW comics with Special Guest Erika Moen
- PreviewsWorld: The Team Behind Oh ‘Joy Sex Toy’ Talks About It (Sex)
- Publishers Weekly: Four Questions for Erika Moen and Matthew Nolan
- Skylight Books Podcast Series: Erika Moen & Matthew Nolan, “LET’S TALK ABOUT IT”
- CBR: Oh Joy Sex Toy Team Explains Why Their Next OGN Tackles Teen Relationships
- Sex Gets Real #137: Erika Moen of Oh Joy Sex Toy talks sex toys, porn sets, & sex ed through art
- The Hechinger Report: The politics of sex ed leave a lot untaught
Like good sex, it’s goofy fun that might just make the reader’s life better.
★ Publishers Weekly, starred review
Our parents had The Joy of Sex, we have the next generation of totally balls-out (and vulva-out!) candidness in Oh Joy Sex Toy!! Oh Joy Sex Toy is sui generis… there may not be a book in print simultaneously this honest, this educational, and THIS HILARIOUS. Even if you don’t masturbate, the pages of this book will probably change your mind. Free at last, free at last, god almighty we are free from whack-off shame at last!!! From page one you must ask yourself: did I just really read that? YES YOU DID. Liberating, liberating, LIBERATING!!!
Amanda Palmer, The Art of Asking
It is written and drawn with such gosh-darn sweet enthusiasm by Erika Moen (with the occasional guest-shot from husband Matthew, who provides a dude’s perspective) that even if your tastes are tamer than Moen’s, I think you’ll find it a perfectly wonderful read.
Cory Doctorow on BoingBoing
Erika Moen’s Oh Joy Sex Toy is a revolution in laughter and a hardcore exploration of the orgasm. It’s a refreshingly frank comic strip about vaginas, sex toys and human sexuality.
Rich Goldstein in The Daily Beast
They make sex ed so freakishly entertaining, I don’t even care I’m learning something.
Sex Nerd Sandra
Guest Expert & Interviews
The surprise is how compulsively readable Erika Moen’s wonderful tour of the wonderful world of wonderful toys is—she’s like a naughty Leonard Maltin set loose in an adults-only episode of ‘Jackass.’ Sex positive AND comics positive. My two favorites.
Matt Fraction on GoodReads
The information is so good and thorough and the reviews are charming and honest. It really is the best thing since the Hitachi Magic Wand!
Searah Deysach, owner of Early To Bed
Awards & Accolades
- #1 Amazon New Release:
• 2021 Let’s Talk About It in Teen & Young Adult History Comics
• 2021 Drawn to Sex: Our Bodies and Health in the Teen & Young Adult Dating and Teen & Young Adult Sexuality & Pregnancy categories
• 2018 Drawn to Sex: The Basics in Educational & Nonfiction Graphic Novels
• 2016 Oh Joy Sex Toy: Coloring Book in both Erotic Graphic Novels and Erotic Art
- The Verge’s Favorite Memories from the internet on its 30th birthday
- SexualAlpha’s 9th best Sex Blog in 2020
- Top 10 highest rated sex blog every year since 2014 on Kinkly.com
- Drawn to Sex, ComicOns #7 Most Progressive Comic 2018
- 2016 Finalist, Harvey Award: Best Online Comics Work
- Third Place, Comics Alliance, Best of 2016 & Outstanding Cartoonist
- Runner-up, Comics Alliance, Best Factual Comic 2016
- Oregon Book Award: Graphic Literature and Readers Choice 2016 Finalist
- Voted 2nd Best Portland Blog 2016, Willamette Week
- Autostraddle: Webcomic, Episodic 2015 Finalist
- Slate’s Cartoonist Studio Award Finalist 2014 & 2015
Unfailingly sprightly and positive, week in and week out.
The Comics Journal
Warmly conversational as you can get… the kind of book of book you can give a randy-but-clueless friend.
Fiona McCann in Portland Monthly Magazine
If you would like to get in contact with Oh Joy Sex Toy, email Matthew here.